Thursday, July 29, 2010

98 Degrees of Sunrise Devotions

Goal #30: Get up at 6:00am every weekday for two weeks and have breakfast/devotionals on the back porch.

I'm standing at the foot of this mountain
Wishing so bad that I could touch that sky
But in the time it takes to make my wish
I never take a step and I never try

I wish that I were closer to Jesus
But not enough to get me out of bed
For an early morning prayer before the
Rushes of my life take me instead

-Past the Wishing, Sara Groves

In high school, I used to set the above song as my alarm in the morning in hopes that it would guilt-trip me into getting my lazy rear out of bed to do my devotions. It is a great song with a great message, but it didn't work - my motivation wasn't genuine. I then put morning devotions on my 101 list because it was important to me yes, but also because I thought maybe it would help me to get a good habit started. But I can honestly say that I recently started doing my early morning devotions because I had a desire too - not for guilt and not to check something of my list - but because God has really been doing a work in me and I wanted to spend more time with Him. I didn't even really think about it being on my list until my best friend (when I mentioned to her something I had read in my devotions) asked me if I was doing it for my list. Wow. That is a sad reflection of my recent Christian walk, eh? It was such an uncommon thing for me to be having a morning devotion, that my friend assumed I was doing it because of my list. I have very much enjoyed these mornings and have seen such a difference in my heart attitude throughout the day. Something about seeing a beautiful early morning sky while talking to God and reading His Word is such a refreshing combination.

But hooooo-boy it is hot outside! Even at 6:00am(ish) the Arizona temperatures are already flirting with 100 degrees. The sleep-deprivation has been a struggle too,  I've got to fully make this commitment and go to bed earlier so that I can get up at 6:00am with out feeling drugged for the rest of the day. I started by getting up a little earlier each day to ween myself off of sleep (7:00am became 6:45am, became 6:30am, etc) so maybe I need to do the same on the other end to ween myself off of my night-owl habits. 

Anyway - I am loving this time of quiet, slow mornings and of prayer and reading my Bible. I've been so convicted, encouraged and challenged with so much of what I've been reading. Especially Luke 6:17-49 which rocked me so deeply that I studied it for three days in a row and even that wasn't enough time for me to really take it all in. I keep coming back to it over and over - trying to really let it settle in my heart so that the idea behind "out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks" will start to produce better fruit in my own life. 

I'm not sure how I survived without this time up until this point. I guess I was just too busy to notice what I was missing.

Q4U-  What has God been teaching you lately? I would love to hear about what you're reading and learning.

2 comments:

  1. I have to get up at 4:45am to accomplish this since I have early bird little ones waking by 6am but God's been faithfully waking me without an alarm to come outside and see what He's prepared for me in the sky this monsoon morning. It's much cooler and much prettier at that time! You're missing the best part of the sunrise which happens about 5:20 nowadays :) I used to be a night owl too, but have been forced to turn in before 10pm now. I have MUCH more trouble doing this in the dark cold of winter tho...

    My learning right now is all very necessary review:
    I am a child of God
    I am Christ's friend
    I have been bought with a price; I belong to God
    I am a saint; I am a citizen of heaven
    I I have NOT been given a spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind
    I am free forever from condemnation
    I CAN find grace and mercy to help in time of need
    etc etc etc from LIVING FREE IN CHRIST by Neil T. Anderson

    Also to REST in Him and BE WITH Him instead of being tempted to do, do, DO more FOR Him. (from Cynthia Heald's BECOMING A WOMAN OF SIMPLICITY and Lysa Terkeurst's BECOMING MORE THAN A GOOD BIBLE STUDY GIRL).

    I love that He gets me up while it's dark--I can't yet read by the light of the sun outside so I have to just SIT which is NOT something this first born overachiever has EVER been able to do! I sing Power of Your Love or some other "drawing near" sentiments and try to envision climbing up on my Father's lap. Then I meditate on memorized scripture or some of Anderson's "I Am" statements listed above. It's been so much better than the frantic chowing down of His Word that I've done in the past when in a Precept, Beth Moore or other Bible study ("I have to get this DONE before all the children need me!!!")

    That's just where I am at 40 after many exhausting years of being an Awana Commander, praise team musician, foster parent, Bible study leader, etc...SITTING, not committed to any of those ministries but resting in Him until He calls me away from the quiet streams and pastures again. (Ha, it's anything but calm here--I'm still a devoted mom of 5 and wife of a visionary, but I think you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! I do mine at night. John is asleep and the house is quiet. One day, once I have kids and my body wakes me up at 5 am, I look forward to reading the Word as the sun rises, but until then, God and I both know the best time is at night for me.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!