Thursday, January 27, 2011

Goal #5 Complete - Yahweh Yoga

More progress on my Project 101 in 1001 list. Read about my journey here.   
Goal #5 COMPLETE: Take an exercise class 

Fact is - I'm rather skinny and always have been. In high school, I was most often refereed to by those who didn't know me as, "that tall, skinny, blond girl." In middle school, I was taunted with calls of "Hey Daddy Long Legs" by a mean girl in my gymnastics class. (It was traumatizing for a gangly eleven-year-old, but somehow I survived.) My in-laws asked Devin if I had an eating disorder when we first started dating (great first impression, eh? ;-) My whole Iife I've been thin and have had a fast metabolism. But before you go throwing stones of envy my way - let me finish. Due to the fact that I'm thin and can eat whatever I want, I have zero motivation for eating right and exercising. Not good. Regardless of my outward appearance of health, who knows what my lack of healthy discipline is doing to my insides? (hmmm... I think there is a spiritual metaphor somewhere in there.)

I put this goal on my list because I knew that while skinny, I was out of shape big time and needed to put a little (a lot) more effort into my physical well-being. So, I signed up for a Yahweh Yoga class at a local church and last night, I survived the first class. (And received confirmation that I am indeed in terrible shape.)  Fortunately, my embarrassment was shared as I was joined by my best friend and her sister (who is also my sister-in-law... I married my best friend's sister's husband's brother.)

Yoga buddies, Kristin and Megan on our first night of class
The idea of a Christian yoga class might seem strange to some, or flat out wrong to others. I can only speak from my own experience, but I've taken this class once before and was extremely pleased (and a little surprised) at how Christ-focused it really is. 

The instructors have done a great job of redeeming this very healthy form of exercise by striping away all of the self-actualization nonsense associated with yoga and turning the focus towards resting in God's presence and getting your body healthy. Worship music is played throughout the class and the instructors often suggest prayer topics or Bible verse to focus on during the workout. The yoga moves almost become a worshipful dance... a dance that just happens to involve one of the most difficult ab workouts of my life. Seriously - yoga is hard. Low impact and simple, yes. But hard physically. 

I came away from class last night feeling so refreshed, relaxed and peace-filled (all in a very God-centered kind of way.) I slept like a baby and woke up feeling rested (unusual for me). I'm so excited to be taking this class again and I'm glad that Megan and Kristin are joining me! Nothing keeps up your motivation to show up for a workout class like knowing you've got friends dragging themselves there too. Lazy Behinds Unite! 

“Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in every way and that your body may keep well, even as your soul keeps well and prospers.” - 3 John 1:2

"For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving, because it is consecrated by the word of God and prayer." - 1 Timothy 4:4-5

1 comment:

  1. Ok...things like this make me want to move to Chandler. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!