Monday, July 18, 2011

The Purpose of Rest

Life has been so topsy-turvy lately and so much has been going on - big things, small things, things I want to remember and share - and yet the blog is silent. I wonder, how is it possible to have so much to express and yet be stricken fast, long and hard with such a bad case of writer's block? Maybe there is just plain too much going on in my head, but not enough "doing" anything about it and this has resulted in a multi-week hiatus from the blog. I don't really know and it hurts my brain to think about it too long.

I'm gonna try my best to write something somewhat meaningful today and the topic that I keep intending to write about is ironically (and somewhat hypocritically, but I'm learning) - REST.

We were talking about rest in a recent (oh - I guess that was actually about three weeks ago) ladies' Bible study at my church. There were a whole slew of verses that we studied on the subject, but the two that stood out to me the most were possibly the two most often repeated and known the world over:

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths 
for his name’s sake. 
(Psalms 23:1-3)

and
 
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” 
(Psalms 46:10)


These verses are common. I've probably read them, recited them and seen them printed, embroidered and quoted thousands of times. Yet, when I read them this time around, something new jumped out at me. Rest is not about me. True rest (the kind that scripture talks about) has never been about me. Shocking I know. But like every other part of the Bible, the point is always God and His glory. Even things that can benefit me (rest, truth, biblical living, salvation) are only byproducts of the true purpose behind them- bringing God glory. 

Read those verses again:

The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters, 
he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths 
for his name’s sake
(Psalms 23:1-3)

and
 
He says, “Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.” 
(Psalms 46:10)

Making rest a part of my life is about God. It is for His name's sake, for His glory, so that He will be exalted. When I don't follow the command to rest in Him, I miss the opportunity to point others to His glory. 

Honestly, how can I tote the idea that a life with God brings "peace that passes all understanding" while at the same time run around stressed-out, maxed-out and over-committed? That sort of lifestyle does nothing to bring God glory.

The challenge is, I don't really know what a life resting in God looks like. I've spent my whole life in a world (America) that often requires a fast pace just to keep from getting trampled. But I don't want to live like an American, I want to live like a Christian and I think in this particular area, the two often collide. Again, I don't know where the change lies or really how to make it happen yet, but I'm learning. Slowly. 

One area that I'm learning to be better at is taking a Sabbath - a day of rest. To work hard during the week, in order to rest on Sunday and let the command "remember the Sabbath" become part of my life. This change (in progress) has been entirely due to Devin's influence (okay, consistent prodding). I married a mellow guy and getting his fast-paced, over-achiever wife to settle down for five minutes, let alone a whole day has been challenging for him I know, but I believe he is doing the right thing in leading our family to learn take a day of rest. We are still figuring out exactly what that should look like, but it's a start in the right direction.

So that's what I've been pondering amidst the swirl of life (and maybe part of the reason for my stand-still). What about you? I imagine your life is just as busy, or more so, as mine. How do you make biblical, God-centered rest a part your life/week/day? 

2 comments:

  1. I am big on one day a week (sometimes that's not Sunday) for a complete Sabbath rest. I read, sleep, pray, and hang out with friends. I try to ignore all my to do lists and not be productive at all. It's been so good for my heart and soul!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adopted an out of context cynical life verse years ago during the exhaustion of starting and running an Awana program for 300 children (while caring for my own 3 little ones): "Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on!...that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow with them." (Rev 14:13).

    I remembered that verse when fostering several children over the last 5 years and kept thinking "I can rest when I'm dead! There's work to be done NOW." I'm sure missionaries and all kinds of aid workers in ministry struggle with that...the needs are so great; how can we sit still??

    But after 4 decades of life, I'm finally getting things in perspective and taking time to lay down mid-day while I read to little ones, let things go undone on Sundays, and schedule get-aways away from home (which are usually exhausting for me with preparations and care of the 7 of us, but I try!)

    My friend Cynthia Heald led a Bible study on her book Becoming a Woman of Simplicity last year that helped a lot. I can't wait for her next one, coming out soon: Becoming a Woman of Strength. I could use that in my old age (42 next week!) as I press on to raise my little ones and launch my older ones.

    ReplyDelete

Got some Notions of your own about this post? Share them!